Category Archives: Minutes

HF CYCLISTS MEETING NOTES 9th JULY 2019

  • FREECYCLE MARSHALS

We might be facing a possible issue over numbers of Marshals available for Prudential Freecycle. We will renew the call for volunteers to register. Training is available on Thursday 25th, July at 5:30pm at the LCC Offices in Wapping. Sign up https://membership.lcc.org.uk/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=243 

  • PLAY STREETS

There are a few Play Streets currently being suggested and there has been a successful one held recently in Cobbold Street W12 https://nextdoor.co.uk/agency-post/england/london/hammersmith-council/play-street-cobbold-road-friday-12-july-join-the-fun-17592191544259/ Coinciding with London Car Free Day / Week we can support some suggested applications. These can be applied for with guidance from London Play  and we will look to create flyers, help knock on doors to discuss with neighbours and generate interest / mitigate opposition. Please email with possible street suggestions.

  • WHITE CITY – NOTTING HILL

Please continue to write in to your councillors to voice your support for this scheme. You can find your Representatives’ details either on the LBHF website http://democracy.lbhf.gov.uk/mgMemberIndex.aspx?bcr=1 or at www.writetothem.com.

  • ROYAL PARKS CONSULTATION

This closed on 14 July 2019. The Royal Parks are looking at reducing the presence of and pollution from the vast amounts of through traffic that goes through many of their parks. They have been consulting on this. As always you can still email in to voice your support for proposals to stop the parks being used as through-routes for motor traffic. People will still be able to access the parks by car but the main traffic passing through would be eliminated, creating safer, more pleasant environments. See details and stay updated here. https://membership.lcc.org.uk/royal-parks-consultation

  • LONDON CYCLING CAMPAIGN SUMMER SOCIAL

LCC Local Group members are organising a Summer Social event on July 31st at 6:00PM in Look Mum No Hands (49 Old St, London EC1V 9HX). There’ll be a talk at by the #MakeTheLane organisers, followed by a chance to get to know your fellow activists, make new contacts, and most importantly, have fun! More information is available on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/events/2204287269693061/ and on the LCC website https://lcc.org.uk/events/london-cycling-campaign-summer-social. Everybody is welcome!

  • EXTINCTION REBELLION AND HFCYCLISTS RIDE ON TOWN HALL

HFCyclists and Extinction Rebellion are riding to support the

Council on Wednesday 17 July 2019 to support the motion to declare a Climate Emergency in the borough and to call for action. Meet at Hammersmith Bridge on Wednesday at 5.30pm. We will ride across the bridge, convene on the opposite side for a photograph, turn and ride back to the Town Hall in time to meet councillors on their way into the meeting. An Extinction Rebellion group of riders will start out at Waterloo Millenium Green, Baylis Rd, Lambeth, London SE1 7AA at 4.00pm and join us at Hammersmith Bridge for the Ride On The Town Hall. They will continue onwards after the assembly outside the Town Hall, returning to Marble Arch.

A number of us will attend the council meeting to support the motion.

We will write to contact the media regarding the ride.

  • HAMMERSMITH BRIDGE:

There are a few Facebook groups springing up to discuss the perceived impact of the closure of the bridge to motor vehicles. One such is The Impact of the Closure of Hammersmith Bridge https://facebook.com/groups/507440140087966/ . We suggest joining some of the discussions to counteract  the negativity and allusion that all that needs to happen is for cars to be returned to the bridge for traffic nirvana to occur.

Philippa wrote to St Pauls school asking them to measure absentee levels across the coming and previous terms. This is to see if the bridge closure has stopped children from attending school.

  • HFCYCLISTS MONTHLY RIDE

The next ride is to Osterley Park on Sunday Sunday, 21/07/2019, 10 am

From Pekoe Mellow Tea House, 22 Aldensley Road W6 0DH

We will start our ride about 10:15 am from Brackenbury Village meeting at Pekoe Mellow Tea House. Come early to experience quality fresh teas and British ‘teatime’ treats.

This is a leisurely ride to Osterley Park, using a 15 mile circular route through quiet streets, parks, canal paths and farmland. 
Rest and refreshments at Osterley House.

Families and Children are welcome.

  • DAVID EALES MEMORIAL RIDE TO AMSTERDAM

Registration https://membership.lcc.org.uk/london-amsterdam-ride-registration is now open for this ride. Details are on https://zork.net/amsterdam. On Monday 22nd July, there will be a little meet and greet to explain more at: 

The Queen’s Head in Holborn, 64 Theobalds Rd, Holborn, London WC1X 8SF from 6.30pm onwards. 

  1. RIDES AND SOCIAL EVENTS
  2. Heading For Extinction talk by Extinction Rebellion on 10 July 2019 – this was hugely successful and enlightening.
  3. Extinction Rebellion Summer Uprising – 15 – 20 July 2019 https://rebellion.earth/event/summer-uprising-act-now/
  4. Extinction Rebellion Ride On Hammersmith Town Hall – Wednesday 17 July 2019
  5. HFCyclists Ride – Sunday, 19th July 2019
  6. Stop Killing Cyclists – 7 September 2019 http://stopkillingcyclists.org/
  7. David Eales Memorial Ride to Amsterdam – Sep 2019 
  1. DATE AND PLACE OF NEXT MEETING
    13th August 2019, 19:00-21:00

Pekoe Mellow Tea House, 22 Aldensley Road, Hammersmith London W6 0DH

HF CYCLISTS MEETING NOTES 14th MAY 2019

Present: Casey, Claire, Pet, Peri, Ken, Ruth, Michael, Teneille

Apologies: Roger, Paul,

WELCOME TO ANY NEW MEMBERS

Welcome to Claire and Pet.

  • INFRASTRUCTURE – WE DO NOT HAVE ANY UPDATES FROM THE COUNCIL ON ANY OF THESE ISSUES
  • GOLDHAWK ROAD – UPDATE: WE WILL BE MEETING WITH COUNCIL OFFICERS ON 5TH JUNE
  • UXBRIDGE ROAD – we wanted to know if lbhf had been in contact with ealing about proposals for a segregated cycle lane along the length of uxbridge road
  • FULHAM HIGH STREET – WE HAD ASKED THE IMPLICATIONS OF MOVING THE TRAFFIC ISLAND TO REMOVE THE NEED FOR VEHICLES TO CUT IN TO THE CYCLIST’S POSITION
  • WHITE CITY – NOTTING HILL

TfL is consulting on road and junction improvements from Holland Park roundabout to Notting Hill. We need to generate as much support for the scheme as possible. Consultation closes on the 16th of June 2019. Please follow the link below for details and to respond, there are drop-in sessions at:

The Bush Theatre, 7 Uxbridge Road, London W12 8LJ – Wednesday 5 June 2019 (17:00 – 21:00)

The Bush Theatre, 7 Uxbridge Road, London W12 8LJ – Saturday 8 June 2019 (11:00 – 15:00)

 https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/wood-lane-notting-hill/

We need volunteers to help distribute fliers and engage with schools, bodies and organisations to get the word out. Vin Aithol contacted staff members at Imperial College who are happy to help reach out to the students union.

  • HAMMERSMITH BRIDGE: The future of Hammersmith Bridge as a world-class walking & cycling link – Sat, 18th May 2019, 11:00-13:30, Rutland Arms, 15 Lower Mall, W6 9DJ

          Marco from London Car Free Day attended and gave us an introduction to the ideals behind London Car Free Day and the initiatives to see space as more than just a repository for parked vehicles. They attended as organisers of the Hammersmith Bridge discussion.

          We attended this discussion and walk and it was an involved debate which generated a lot of understanding and support for trialing the bridge as a walking and cycling destination. We will continue to work with London Car Free Day and other stakeholders to impress upon the council the important opportunity this represents.

  • FREECYCLE, HFCYCLISTS MONTHLY RIDES, SCHOOL CLIMATE STRIKE,

          We will be organising a feeder ride to Prudential London FreeCycle on the 3rd August. We want as many marshals as possible to support the led ride. Please email hfcyclists@lcc.org.uk to notify us if you can join as a marshal.

          HF cyclists monthly ride was to Teddington via Richmond Park. The destination was the Landmark Art Centre.

          Climate Strike On  A Bike: We attended this and joined with the LCC to support thousands of young people at Parliament Square on Friday 24th May 2019.

  • BIKE HANGERS UPDATE – No update from the council at present. Teneille spoke about her frustration with the process of requesting a bike hanger. She had signed  up for a bike hanger in October 2018 but was told she is 29th in the queue and it is more than a years wait.

   Update: Cllr Iain Cassidy has said that he will look to see what is slowing the pipeline and try to speed the process up.

  • FINANCE – Ken updated us on the current finances and the fact that we can apply for a grant if required. Normally we would forgo the grant but we need to budget for a new or overhauled website so we will apply for the grant to support this capital expenditure.
  • COMMUNICATION
  • Contributors – We want your stories, pictures, cycling successes and fails, inspirational rides, infrastructure notes and observations etc. Send us your pictures and notes by WhatsApp, Viber or to our Facebook page for us to share.
  • Website – We are seeking a volunteer webmaster if possible.
  • Calendar – Still looking for our best solution for ease of use
  • RIDES AND SOCIAL EVENTS

               We attended the following:

  • The future of Hammersmith Bridge as a world-class walking & cycling link –
    Sat, 18th May 2019, 11:00-13:30, Rutland Arms, 15 Lower Mall, W6 9DJ
  • Hammersmith Festival Fri & Sat 17-18th May 2019
  • HFCyclists Ride – Sunday, 19th May 2019 to the Landmark Arts Centre in Teddington.

     The David Eales Memorial Ride to Amsterdam – 19 – 24 Sep 2019 is coming. Sign up link will be shared on the LCC website shortly.

DATE AND PLACE OF NEXT MEETING

11th June 2019, 19:00-21:00 at Pekoe Mellow Tea House, 22 Aldensley Road, Brackenbury Village, Hammersmith W6 0DH

HF CYCLISTS MEETING 9th APRIL 2019

  1. WELCOME TO ANY NEW MEMBERS
    Present: Casey Abaraonye, David Blackett, David Ford, Iain Cassidy (LBHF), Nick Dawson, Paul Saunderson, Peri Abaraonye,
    Apologies: Christopher Brown, Henrietta Bewley, Ken McCosh, Marc Wentworth, Margaret Spector, Mike Robinson, Nick Moffitt (ECC), Neil Webster(LCC Trustee), Pat Tookey, Shirin Khan, Susannah Woodgate, Richard Duffill (LBHF)
  • UPDATE FROM LBHF: Cllr Iain Cassidy, Cycling and Walking Champion,
    Hammersmith & Fulham Council
  • CycleWay 9: Still in the planning and development phase. It will be helpful to demonstrate support for the scheme by way of emails to councillors. Please email your local councillors now and tell them why improving cycling infrastructure is important for you and your family, your neighbours and your local businesses. Find your councillors here: https://bit.ly/2WZrMyz 
  • CW9 will next be discussed at PAC Meeting 18/06/19 at H&F Town Hall. We want to encourage local residents to come and show support for CycleWay 9.
  • Children undertake Bikeability Training in primary school but most of the time they are restricted from riding on the roads by their parents. They then question the point of learning these new skills when they are not allowed to develop the confidence. More inclusive training for young people and parents is required. The environment needs to feel safer to encourage parents.
  • We need to engage with students living and youth councils in the borough to make their voices heard. Car ownership for those 35 years and younger is very low in our borough. We want to hear from them and how best we can meet their needs.
  • Cllr Iain Cassidy spoke about the state of cycling in the borough and the need for more of the silent majority who quietly support the idea of cycling to make their voices heard.
    He gave an example of BeeLines Project in Manchester where local residents got involved in the redesigning of cycle routes in the area. https://youtu.be/Py659WIZRsY 
    The project was designed from the onset with local residents involvement which gave them a strong sense of ownership. By the time it came to consultation it was received positively with points raised as tweaks and improvements. David Blackett said that in his IT Consultancy they use a similar approach where design is client and end user led.
  • Free Cycle training is available from the borough and can be booked through the council’s website: https://bit.ly/2GIMg7l   
  • DUTCH CYCLING CULTURE
    • Cllr Cassidy spoke about research by Dr Rachel Aldred, Reader in Transport at the University of Westminster on the priority for Dutch cycling infrastructure design. A defining feature was that a cycling accident should not cost your life.
      Find out more about some of the projects, publications, and events that Dr Rachel Aldred is involved in at http://rachelaldred.org/ or on Twitter at @RachelAldred.
    • “Chris Boardman compares cycling in Holland and Britain.”
      – 33% of journeys in Utrecht are done by bikes; 50% of children go to school by bike
      – Less than 1% of cyclists in the Netherlands wear helmets, yet the country has the lowest incidents  of head injuries in the world.
      https://youtu.be/zq28fU2AuMU 
    • “From the Netherlands Translating the World’s Best Bikeway Designs.” This video shows how Dutch built their cycling infrastructure. You might be surprised it wasn’t all plain sailing. Officials from US cities came to learn from the design successes.
      https://youtu.be/kp3s2EP0zVo 
    • After watching both videos we discussed the uptake of cycling in UK and compared it to Holland and Germany. We noted that the British surge in cycling only started in 2012 following success in the Olympics. Cllr Cassidy spoke of research comparing medium size British and German cities and looking at children’s independence. In the 70’s children started leaving the home for independent tasks at about the same age of 9-10 to go to school, go to the shops, etc. By the 90’s in Germany the age had gone up by about a year whereas in UK the age had shop up to 13-14. Dutch roads are as safe as British roads but the difference is that Dutch roads are recognised as space for children to play and inhabit whereas British roads have had the children replaced by cars. The British attitude is that children should be in the house, the park or the back garden while Dutch attitude is children should be playing on the street outside their home.  
  • CAMPAIGN PRIORITIES
    • Awareness of cyclists that motorists have.
    • Hierarchy of vulnerability: pedestrians, mobility vehicles, cyclists, motorcyclists, cars, vans, buses, lorries. Priority should be given to the most vulnerable in order while at present the motorcars has road priority. There should be presumed liability. In many other countries pedestrians and cyclists have priority when cars turn left or right.
    • David Ford suggested improved cycle route maintenance.
    • These points will be emailed to LCC for consideration.
  • BIKE SECURITY WITH PC BROWN
    • PC Christopher Brown promised to release the CCTV footage of the theft of Casey & Peri’s  bikes from North End Road Market. We want to show this video to help inform  people. We are awaiting the footage.
    • A significant number of bike thefts have occurred at the cafe and toilet in Richmond Park. It would seem thieves come dressed as cyclists and steal bikes.
    • We asked PC Brown about reports that North End Road is being targeted for bike thefts.  
  • INFRASTRUCTURE
    • Susannah Woodgate asked about roadworks on the corner of Goldhawk Road and Ravenscourt Road, widening pavement. Awaiting update from Richard Duffill.
    • Alexander Bastin submitted photos of Fulham High Street  by Fulham Pre-Prep School where the pavement forces cyclists into the path of traffic. At present there is a traffic light and island that forces vehicles to veer left into cyclists. We are asking the council to look into possible options to improve this, including relocating the crossing, removing the island or moving the bus stop. Iain Cassidy will discuss it with Chris Bainbridge and get back to us.
    • We discussed the current state with roadworks being undertaken by utility companies. Utility companies are responsible for refilling the roads after they dig them up. They work to their own standards which do not always meet the council’s approval. However this is the current operating framework.
    • Casey suggested to the council that for any cycle paths build along trunk roads that noise shielding be erected. They can be used to generate advertising revenue. Such noise barriers are common in other European cities and shield both noise and particulate pollution. We ask that LBHF adopts this as an identifying feature. Casey has also asked the same of TfL.       
  • RIDE TRAINING / FREECYCLE
    • ECC is organising Ride Leader Training 27th April 2019. We want to encourage confident cyclists to attend this training as we will need ride leaders for the coming London Freeride this summer. The training is free for participants, but places are limited and you do need to register via the link: https://membership.lcc.org.uk/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=234 
  • BRAKES & GEARS MAINTENANCE
    • Casey demonstrated how to clean and service your brake and gear cables. We recommend that if riding in the rain you do this once a week.
      In general if you cycle on a regular basis you should service your bike at least 2 times per year but rain increases the wear on your bike.  
    • Casey gave an explanation on how and why to clean your chain.
    • At each meeting Casey will demonstrate a bike maintenance tip for those present.  
  • PUBLICITY AND COMMUNICATION PLATFORMS
  • HFC is looking for contributors and communication volunteers in relation to our web site, Facebook and Twitter. I am sure most of you take photos and videos during rides, and you come across interesting places and situation during your daily and weekend commutes. As long as the image or video is related to cycling we want to share it with HFCyclists followers.
    If you are happy your story to be shared please send it by email to hfcyclists@lcc.org.uk or by Viber or WhatsApp to
    Casey (HFCyclists Chair) at 07975612368 or
    Peri (HFCyclists Administrative Management) at 07878327353
  • HFC needs a WordPress developer to volunteer to carry out monthly website updates. If you are interested please get in touch.
  1. RIDES AND SOCIAL EVENTS 
  2. HFCyclists will organise a ride every 3rd Sunday of the month.
  3. HFC Ride 28th April 2019: from Hammersmith to Richmond and Wimbledon
  4. North End Road Spring Market – 14th Apr 2019
  5. Cycling events and rides will be added to HFCyclists Google Public Calendar which will be shared for everyone to access.
  6. Thank you to Ken McCosh for organising the last ride to Kensington Gardens and the Serpentine Sackler Gallery. We had a lovely ride through quiet Kensington streets avoiding Kensington High Street. Highlights of the ride were meeting Jeremy Vine with his mesmerising Penny-Farthing bicycle and visiting the Grace Wales Bonner: A Time for New Dreams exhibition. Check photos from the ride at Facebook: https://bit.ly/2GG22BV or https://twitter.com/hfcyclists 
  7. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
    1. “Fancy a stroll on a new elevated park in Hammersmith?” – a site visit is being organised on 17/04. A disused railway tracks could become an elevated park in Hammersmith. A public competition is being staged to generate ideas. Do you have any cycling idea that could be incorporated? https://bit.ly/2VnLzXU 
    1. Innovative grass to protect cyclists and pedestrians from pollution. “Grass is greener for innovative Hammersmith cycle path scheme” – https://bit.ly/2uHFIkK article from 20/10/16. What’s the result almost 2.5 years later?
      Casey and Peri cycled there recently and didn’t see any grass. We asked Iain Cassidy but he wasn’t aware of this project.  
    1. Have you noticed any reduction in traffic in Central London since the introduction of the  ULEZ? ULEZ was introduced at the beginning of the Easter School Holiday, so we will wait to see its impact on daily traffic.  
    1. HFCyclists meeting place: We have discussed whether to change the place of our regular meetings from a member’s residence to a public place. Suggested locations are Hammersmith Town Hall, local pub or cafe,  or a community space. If the location is changed to a public place will that be more appealing to you and where do you suggest we should meet?
    1. Richard Duffill (LBHF) is trying to organise a meeting between local businesses, community groups and local cyclists in relation to drafting a new Walk and Cycle Strategy for the borough.
  1. Cycling Achievements for the month
  2. No entries for this month 
  1. DATE OF NEXT MEETING: 14th May 2019, 19:30-21:00
  1. IMPORTANT DATES FOR YOUR DAIRY
  2. 14 Apr 2019, 10am-5pm, North End Road Spring Market
  3. 27th April 2019, 10am-3pm, Ride Leader Training
  4. 28th April 2019, Sunday – HFCyclists Ride

18th June 2019, 7.00 pm, Tuesday: Community Safety and Environment Policy and Accountability Committee at the H&F Town Hall

HF CYCLISTS MEETING 13th MARCH 2019

HF CYCLISTS MEETING  13th MARCH 2019

  1. WELCOME TO ANY NEW MEMBERS
    Present: Casey Abaraonye, Henrietta Bewley, Janusz Carmello, Ken McCosh, Mark Wan, Nick Moffitt (ECC), Pat Tookey, Paul Saunderson, Peri Abaraonye, Shirin Khan
    Apologies: Amy Ingram, David Marsh, Marc Wentworth
  • EAST-WEST CYCLEWAY FROM PADDINGTON TO ACTON
    • Construction work on the route is set to begin on 18 March 2019, with the work expected to be complete by the end of the year.
      http://bit.ly/2YLxVQI 
    • We have suggested to TFL that to make the route more appealing and usable it should have noise shielding, which is common in Europe.  
  • PUBLICITY AND COMMUNICATION PLATFORMS
  • HFC is looking for contributors and communication volunteers in relation to our web site, facebook and twitter. If you are interested please get in touch.
  • HFC needs a WordPress developer to volunteer to carry out monthly website updates. If you are interested please get in touch.
  • RIDES AND SOCIAL EVENTS
  •  HFCyclists will organise a ride every 3rd Sunday of the month.
  •  HFC Ride 17th March 2019: from Hammersmith to Kensington Gardens
  •  North End Road Spring Market – 14th Apr 2019
  •  HFC April’s Ride will be on the 28th of April because the 3rd Sunday of April is Easter
  •  Cycling events and rides will be added to HFCyclists Google Public Calendar which will be shared for everyone to access.
  •  Ride Leader’s training will be organised by LCC in the coming months. We will inform you asap.
  • ANY OTHER BUSINESS
    • From Superhighways to Cycleways: TFL have finally taken the decision to rename SuperHighways and QuietWays to CycleWays. Therefore CS9 is changing to CW9.
    • HFCyclists meeting place: We have discussed whether to change the place of our regular meetings from a member’s residence to a public place. Suggested locations are Hammersmith Town Hall, local pub or cafe,  or a community space. If the location is changed to a public place will that be more appealing to you and where do you suggest we should meet?
    • Bike Theft – Casey and Peri’s bicycles were stolen from North End Road within 5 minutes of locking the bikes about 4pm on a busy Saturday. So far no good news but we have requested the Police to provide us with the CCTV which will be shared for people to see how easy and quickly a bike can get stolen.
    • Pat Tookey is thankful to everyone who got in touch to offer her kind words of support after the theft of her bicycle.
    • Richard Duffill (LBHF) is trying to organise a meeting between local businesses, community groups and local cyclists in relation to drafting a new Walk and Cycle Strategy for the borough.
    • Macbeth Centre, Hammersmith offers Bicycle Maintenance Part 1 & 2 and  City & Guilds Bicycle Maintenance Award/Certificate. The number of people attending these courses has dropped. In order to support and encourage more people to use the service OMA Bikes, a local cycling business is offering “Build Your Own Bike” project where you buy a bike in need of refurbishment and then you can enrol on a course where you learn to fix your bike. The outcome is that you get a bike and acquire the skills to maintain it.
      Nearby bike courses where you can enrol:
      – Macbeth Centre, Hammersmith: hfals.co.uk/courses/bicycle-maintenance/
      – BikeWorks: bikeworks.org.uk/Pages/Category/book-a-maintance-course
      – London Bike Hub: londonbikehub.com/maintenance-training/
  • Cycling Achievements for the month

HFCyclists organising a lovely ride from Hammersmith to Tooting and Wimbledon

  • DATE OF NEXT MEETING
        9th April 2019, 19:30-21:00
  1. IMPORTANT DATES FOR YOUR DAIRY

14 Apr 2019, 10am-5pm, North End Road Spring Market

NOTES OF HFCYCLISTS AGM 2014

NOTES OF HFCYCLISTS AGM 2014

Held at the home of Ken McCosh, 12 Stanwick rd, W14 8UH

Tuesday 13 October 7.30pm.

PRESENT

Ken McCosh, Lars Laamann, John Grifffiths, Alex Ingram, Janusz Carmello, Paul Fox, Paul Saunderson, Susie Gretz, David Marsh

APOLOGIES

Roger de Freitas, Sima John, Richard Radmore, Derek Fordham, Ayse Kardes

WELCOME

We were happy to have Paul Fox with us. He lives in the Brackenbury area and his family all cycle. He has offered to help where it is suitable. He has experience in communications.

CHAIRS REPORT. John Griffiths

April 2013 to March 2014

For the first time we have had two people instead of one taking the roles of Chair and Co-ordinator; I the Chair and Alex Ingram the Co-ordinator.

The group has had regular meetings. Thanks to everyone who has participated, and particularly the hosts. We held a few rides, which were very enjoyable, including some large ones into Central London. We had our usual midsummer ride and Christmas ride to hostelries in Richmond. And of course thanks to Roger de Freitas for hosting the summer garden party.

We had good relations with Officers at LBHF. We were involved in consultations on Shepherds Bush Town Centre West and elsewhere. We carried out a survey on Hammersmith Bridge which may have been instrumental in later developments.

Alex led the Space4cycling campaign which resulted later to the new Labour Party agreeing to all the asks in the different wards. Alex was involved in many meetings at the LCC head office and he has also reinvented the website and introduced a twitter account.

Since April 2014.

There have been many developments, including the Labour Party winning the local elections in May 2014. They set up Policy and Accountability Committees, to the first of which nine of our group sent written material, and three of us spoke, all to great effect.

It looks like Hammersmith Bridge will be made 20mph, and things are afoot at Hammersmith Gyratory. Also the Labour Party manifesto offers a Borough wide 20mph speed limit to some undecided extent.

Thanks to everyone who has been involved, including Ken McCosh our Treasurer, and let’s keep the momentum going.

COORDINATOR’S REPORT Alex Ingram

We are in theory covering only the period from April 2013 to March 2014, I took over as coordinator in June of 2013

Since June we have seen significant changes in the wider London Cycle Campaign, which have as I’m sure I’ve said before, been part of the reason I’ve been more active myself along with the opportunities from enhanced Mayoral spending on cycling.

In August 2013 we ran a very successful RideLondon feeder ride with 75 riders including many children. (And again in August of this year). We have had a few other rides, but clearly need to develop our rides programme.

During the autumn of 2013 I reworked the branch website so that it was in a more modern, mobile friendly template and able to handle much more vibrant presentation of our content.

We have detailed feedback on the shepherds bush town centre west scheme. This helped engage us with many local active cyclists.

Hammersmith Bridge was promoted by John as in need of change. I assisted john with this and hope we can see a way to use the way we did that – in the real world with leafleting, online promotion, and email discussions with interested parties. It showed that even outside Space For Cycling we can reach out well.

I have had much contact with local journalists, and have good contacts and have even managed to get us coverage on the BBC London News around Putney Bridge’s closure. The key item in the period is obviously Space For Cycling though it spilled over into May 2014. The highlights of that are not just support from the new Labour council elected in the local elections but also a high number of responses in our borough and a very successful meeting to set our ward asks. I also personally provided some very technical support to keep the website for Space For Cycling functioning and helped train campaigners in other boroughs.

However, it is with some regret that I must state clearly that I cannot continue as coordinator, not least as I will be moving out of the borough in the coming weeks. I am very keen to remain on the management committee and continue contact with the council, but cannot guarantee my time to either arrange these meetings or attend them any more often than once every two months.

I’d just round off by noting we stand on the cusp of some, but not enough change. We will see more 20mph I am fairly certain though it will be a fight to get it. Hammersmith Broadway will change, and I think Hammersmith Bridge will too. However, with Superhighway 9 failing due to blocks by Kensington and Chelsea we risk being the only side of London without a highly trafficked upgraded cycle connection into Central London. In all honesty, that, along with the absurd price and availability of housing for my generation mean I cannot continue to campaign alongside you in this borough, but I will not give up that fight.

TREASURER’S REPORT – Ken McCosh

Income

LCC grant 287.90

LCC contrib. 160.00

Interest 16.16

TOTAL 464.06

Expenditure

Website 32.40

Catering 315.98

TOTAL 348.38

Nett income 115.68

At 31.03.13 Balance b/f

Unrestricted 3491.44

Restricted 3541.85

TOTAL 7033.29

At 31.03.14 Balance

Unrestricted 3607.12

Restricted 3541.85

TOTAL 7148.97

Allowing for outstanding cheques this tallies with the opening and closing bank balances at the Unity Trust Bank of 7118.57 and 7275.12.

Alex proposed and Paul S seconded that these accounts should be accepted as a true record and this was passed unanimously.

Thanks was given to Ken, John and Alex for the work they had done.

DISCUSSION

The website, it is great that it is now in a format suitable for mobile devices.

John would like to see a policy on what is covered. He would like the content to include notes of the meetings we have held with LBHF and also notes of all our monthly group meetings. At the moment there is only a note of one meeting, for November 2013. Another problem is that the website has not been updated much for about 5 months, so for example it has the Hammersmith Bridge survey on it which is finished. It should be showing the results of the survey.

Previously the site was updated via an html editing program, now it is based on WordPress. Alex says he will show people how to update it. We need several people to come forward to look after the website. Please contact John if you are willing to help. Website at www.hfcyclists.org.uk.

Alex says the Twitter account has over 400 followers. It is used to point people to our website and talk about latest news.

Ken and Paul S suggested that we transfer some of our funds to an account which pays higher interest. The Unity Trust bank which we use does not have any suitable accounts to switch to.

Although we, hfcyclists, are a completely independent organisation, the London Cycling Campaign which is a charity registers our funds as part of its reserves. Alex pointed out that a charity is frowned upon if it has unused reserves, and the LCC would like us to use our reserves and would be happy to use our money. Ken pointed out that in the present financial year we have forgone the grant of nearly £300 which is due to us from the LCC.

We should look into moving part of our monies, particularly the part we call our reserved assets, into another account, so that the LCC would feel under less pressure from the Charity Commissioners, and we would have greater interest. We should also be more active in the pursuit of our goals, recognising that a lack of resources is not a problem.

ELECTION OF MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE

The following people were elected as Officers

CHAIR John Griffiths proposed by Susie, seconded by Ken

TREASURER Ken McCosh proposed by Alex, seconded by Paul S

SECRETARY Alex Ingram proposed by Paul S, seconded by Susie

Other members of the Management Committee were proposed by John and seconded by Alex and duly elected. They are

Lars Laamann, Paul Saunderson, Susie Gretz, David Marsh, Janusz Carmello, Roger de Freitas, Richard Radmore.

REFRESHMENT BREAK

HFCYCLISTS OCTOBER MEETING

We updated Susie, who has been away, on what is happening at the Hammersmith Gyratory, which was covered in the notes of our recent meeting with LBHF.

Susie showed a cutting from this week’s local paper that discussed how RBKC had effectively blocked superhighway 9. Alex had provided some of the information for it. http://tinyurl.com/nyryfnw

We discussed air pollution in the Borough. The monitor at Shepherds Bush has been put out of action by a collision. The report on air pollution in LBHF made by Elizabeth Fonseca at the PAC meeting we attended can be found here at page 8. The report on cycling appears at page 1.

http://tinyurl.com/lnccj8r .

Chris Bainbridge of LBHF reported to John earlier in the day that the February PAC meeting should be dealing with 20 mph speed limits and a cycling strategy that Officers are writing. The consultation on Hammersmith Bridge should be coming out in the next couple of weeks. Works on the Bridge involving a bus gate bypass and 20mph limit [and signs to prioritise cyclists] should be finished by the end of this financial year.

Paul S considered that a 20mph limit in the Borough at 2am for a minicab driver was unreasonable. Alex said that collisions often happened then, and other drivers might have been drinking.

THANKS

We thanked Ken for his hospitality and for the preparation of the refreshments.

EXPENSES

John had expenses of £16.12 for the renewal of the domain hfcyclists.org.uk

Ken had expenses of £53 for refreshments.

DATE OF NEXT MEETING

This will be held on TUESDAY 11 November. 7.15pm for 7.30pm

at the home of John Griffiths

122c Edith road, West Kensington, W14 9AP

Notes by John Griffiths [Chair]

NOTES OF HFCYCLISTS MEETING 3 JUNE 2014

NOTES OF HFCYCLISTS MEETING 3 JUNE 2014
Held at the home of John Griffiths, 122c Edith rd, W14 9AP at 7.30pm

PRESENT:
John Grifiths, Alex Ingram, Roy Instrall, Susie Gretz, Paul Saunderson, Janusz Carmello, Petrina Beaufoy Helm, Ken McCosh, David Marsh, Sima John

APOLOGIES:
Roger de Freitas, John Gilbert, Ayse Kardes, Sophie Glossop, John Gilbert.

SPECIAL GUEST
We were pleased to welcome Roy Instrall to the meeting. Roy leads the LBHF Streetscene Enforcement Team. This deals with a wide range of matters including fly-tipping, market traders etc. It also covers dead bikes.

Roy told us of the procedures for removing bikes that are deemed abandoned or derelict and those that are causing an obstruction. Deciding whether a bike is dead or not is not simply a matter of seeing if a wheel or saddle is missing. The owner may have removed them as a precaution against theft. If the tyres are flat as well that is a good indication.

The bike is given a yellow ticket and is then removed a day or two later, using an angle grinder if necessary to cut through D-locks. It is then stored at the depot in Glenthorne road for 21 days at least. In a year about 250 bikes are picked up, and about 5 are reclaimed by their owners..

At the moment the bikes are not recycled in any useful way, other than being taken away as scrap. This is because the Council does not want to be responsible for forwarding bikes that have possibly been stolen or in case the bike has been in a collision and the frame is damaged.

Roy is going to look at the matter to see if there are any alternative ways in which the stockpile of dead bikes can be put to better use by the community.

Roy’s team does not deal with bikes that are removed during pavement works. This is handled by the Council’s contractor.

Roy is a keen cyclist and here is a short clip of him on the Bec Hill Climb.

Roy can be contacted on roy.instrall@lbhf.gov.uk.

COUNCIL CHANGES
The new Council does not become fully operational until after its AGM on 16 June. We understand that Cllr Wesley Harcourt will be the Cabinet Member for Transport, the Environment and Resident Services. Also that Cllr Larry Coherne will head the Policy and Accountability Committee for that section.

HAMMERSMITH BRIDGE SURVEY
We now have had 134 responses to our online survey. The survey was distributed by email, twitter and leaflet. Thanks to all who have filled in the survey, and to those who helped hand out the leaflets

On the question of 20mph on the bridge, there was overwhelming [96%] support for it.
One third of the respondents thought that the bike logos meant cyclists should ride so that they could be overtaken, two thirds that they should ride so that thet cannot be overtaken. For signing meant to convey that cyclists should hold the lane this is not a good result, especially if car and van drivers interpret the logos in the same way.

On seeing the survey Tom Bogdanovicz of LCC told us that Councils can use a sign that states “Narrow lanes – do not overtake cyclists”, even though it is not an officially recognised road sign.

Reading all the responses to thr other questions, John thinks that the best solution for the bridge is a 20mph limit, and very clear signing stating the above, or “cyclist priority” at the pinch points.

We will approach the council with our proposals at some point after 16 June.

The survey has also been useful as a way of introducing cyclists to the group, and many have joined the email group after taking this survey or being on the space4cycling ride.

If you have not done so, please look at the survey now.
surveymonkey.com/s/HBconcepts

SPACE FOR CYCLING
The leader of the Council Cllr Stephen Cowan has asked officers to start seeing how the Councils manifesto can be implemented. Alex will be contacting Chris Bainbridge of LBHF soon with suggestions based on our asks and our mini manifesto.

Some of the asks could be of use in wards other than where they were originally proposed, where applicable, such as a car parking space being given over to cycle parking. One suggestion is to use cycle hangars, miniature aircraft hangars, where perhaps 8 bikes can be stored by their owners who each have a key for the hangar.

20 MPH
The Councils manifesto includes
“Extend the Home Zone programme so that all residential streets, not trunk roads, become 20 mph”

The A4 and A40 were trunk roads, but are now designated as part of the Transport for London Road Network. The other main roads are part of the Borough’s Strategic Road Network, over which the Council does not have complete control as TfL has some control.

John and Alex have met with Jeremy Leach of 20splentyforus, and would like to see a Borough wide scheme rather than incremental home zones. Jeremy is working on an active travel scheme that we hope might help us influence the Council.

HAMMERSMITH GYRATORY
LBHF are carrying out modelling on proposals for the gyratory post flyunder. This probably includes the scenarios indicated in the proposals for the flyunder, such as no traffic on the west side of the gyratory, two way working on the rest of it, perhaps two way working on King street for buses and cycles.

The flyunder should not much alter the local traffic in the centre of Hammersmith, as the flyunder just replaces the flyover, so there is no reason if the modelling is successful it cannot be implemented straight away.

The gyratory refers to Hammersmith Broadway, the old main drag on the north side, Butterwick, the ghastly racetrack on the east side, Talgarth rd to the south and Queen Caroline street on the west. In the interim it would be good if this was made 20mph.

GLENTHORNE ROAD
In recent emails Morag has asked what has happened to the short contra flow cycle lane on Glenthorne rd. Chris has explained this is now incorporated into shared use on the footway. Alex asked what has happened to the elephant footprints indicating where a cycle route crosses Glenthorne rd. Chris explained that these markings can officially only be used at a signalled crossing, and so they have been removed.

THE SCRUBS CYCLE ROUTE
John noticed that there is now a ramp barrier across the entrance from Wood Lane. Chris has passed this on to Simon Franklin, LBHF cycling Officer. Alex and Paul added that there had been problems with travellers on the Scrubs six months ago and that the dormant barrier had since been put back into operation.

This update from Simon Franklin, since the meeting

[Parks Police and Parks have been discussing the replacement of the barrier and potential installation of automated bollards or another form of barrier. Consideration will be made for cyclists, but unfortunately there is no particular time scale for this scheme at present as we need to determine an accurate cost estimate for the works and find the appropriate funds.

I am pressing for this work to be prioritised .

Good news is that Parks have a programme to upgrade sections of the cycle route – possibly to be shared use as in Bishops Park.]

RIDE LEADER TRAINING
LCC organise ride leader training for a group of up to ten people for five hours for £250. hfcyclists could pay for this but we would expect you to lead or help out on rides.

If you are interested in participating please contact Alex on alex@hfcyclists.org.uk and state whether you can do weekdays or weekends or both.

SUNSET RIDE
Join us on our annual ride through Richmond Park to the Roebuck on Richmond Hill. This legendary ride is a highlight of BikeWeek. Local groups ride to meet up there to the greet the sunset.

Meet at 7pm for 7.15pm departure. On the platform overlooking the Thames at the end of Queen Caroline Street almost under Hammersmith Bridge.

Contact Janusz on januszcarmello@hotmail.com , 07809 611 077

CYCLE BREAKFAST
Simon Franklin of the council has invited all local cyclists to their Cycle Week breakfast
8-10AM outside Hammersmith Town Hall, Thursday 19th June

ROGER’S GARDEN PARTY
Roger de Freitas is hoping to hold a splendid garden party again this year, perhaps towards the end of July. More later.

BILLIE FLEMING
Paul wanted us to mention Billie. She died recently aged 100. She was a pioneer of long distance riding. She has an entry in wikipedia.
Obirtuary:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10865425/Billie-Fleming-obituary.html
Interview on her 100th Birthday:
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/cycling-weekly/billie-fleming-happy-100th-birthday-121964

EXPENSES
Alex had expenses of £57.22 for buying a banner, and printing and laminating costs involved with space for cycling
John had expenses of £24 for Monkey survey [ Hammersmith Bridge survey]
And £33.43 for refreshments.

DATE OF NEXT MEETING
Tuesday 8 July, 7.15 for 7.30pm, at the home of Susie Gretz, using the lovely garden if clement.

Susie at 4a Eynham rd, W12 0HA
susanna.gretz@gmail.com
020 8749 1969