Minutes April 2015

 

 

NEXT  MEETING – 28 July 2015

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday the 28th of July 2015

at 7.15pm  for 7.30pm at the home and garden of Susie Gretz

4a Eynham Rd, W12 9HA

THERE WILL BE REFRESHMENTS AT THIS MEETING. WE HOPE TO SEE YOU, SO FEEL FREE TO JOIN!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

NOTES OF HFCYCLISTS JUNE MEETING

 

TUESDAY 16 June 2015, 7.15 for 7.30pm at the home of Ken McCosh

12 Stanwick rd, W14 8UH

 

PRESENT:

Ken McCosh, John Griffiths, Janusz Carmello, Paul Saunderson,, Lynn Seveke, Tim Day, Susie Gretz, PCSO Jules Chao.

 

APOLOGIES:

Elizabeth Hopkirk, Roger de Freitas, Petrina Beaufoy Helm,

 

WELCOME

We were pleased to meet Tim Day, a retired journalist who has had experience teaching cycling. He has offered to be a marshal for our RideLondon feeder ride on Saturday 1 August.

 

Paul had invited Jules along, who is part of the Shepherds Bush Transport Hub, which deals with surface transport matters, largely buses, but not the tube. He told us of his work and how it dealt with cycling. Lynn took some notes and may send an email with more details.

 

20MPH

Our input was very successful at the recent LBHF PAC meeting. Now we need to get people to fill in the online consultation. At the North End Road market stall we will show collision map indicating that most cyclist injuries and fatalities are on main roads. We would like the limit to extend to shopping streets if not all main roads. Some people in our group against blanket 20mph limit.

 

Information and an online version of the questionnaire can be found here:http://www.lbhf.gov.uk/directory/news/20mph_consultation.asp

 

GOLDHAWK ROAD

At the PAC Ruth Mayorcas spoke to Cllr Wesley Harcourt about problems she finds on the Goldhawk Rd. As a consequence John and Ruth will meet some Councillors on Monday 22 June for a site visit. Nobody at tonight’s meeting uses the Goldhawk road much. Tim had problems at the intersection with Paddenswick rd where there are the double roundabouts, but that is outside the area where there road is being redesigned. Others have been in touch with us and LBHF about problems on Goldhawk road.

 

NORTH END ROAD STALL

We have just heard that we have a stall for the festival on Saturday 27 June. Our main objective is to find new active members for the group. We will concentrate on 20mph limit, NO2 pollution, the Summer Feeder ride as subjects to engage with people. We will with A3 colour graphics. Susie will look at prices for printing and laminating and John will see if it is cheaper to have a banner printed which we can cut up. Konstantinos, Elizabeth, Ken, Suzie, Jose, John will be available on the day, and perhaps Janusz. Elizabeth and John will work on credit card sized cards that give info about the group and also how to report potholes.

 

If others wish to be part of the event please contact John.

 

NO2 DIFFUSION TUBE PROJECT

We now have the final results.  The plan is to meet with senior people at the council in a few weeks time to discuss the results and see how we can influence plans for Hammersmith Gyratory.  Also we will try to get media coverage of the results.

The EU limit for NO2 is 40 µg / m^3 [micrograms per cubic metre] . The LBHF measurement for Hammersmith Broadway near St Pauls Church was about 80 µg / m^3 . Our results for Hammersmith and Shepherds Bush Green were roughly in the range 80 – 100 µg / m^3. at push chair height we found the levels to be about 30% higher than at the 3m height that LBHF uses for measurements.

 

Andrea would like to see us have a public meeting on air pollution, preferably before the end of July when her present funding runs out.. We discussed this. However the much publicised LBHF meeting on 20mph only brought in a very few people apart from ourselves. Other meeting such as on the flyunder, the Thames sewer and Heathrow expansion have been highly attended.

[Lynn mentioned the proposed Maastricht tunnel]

 

We felt the  time scale for a public meeting in July is too rushed. Perhaps later., especially if the Committee on the Medical Effects of Air Pollutants, produces an awaited report on the mortality figures for NO2.

 

 

HFCYCLISTS ACCOUNTS AND GRANT FROM LCC

Ken has prepared the accounts and we have told LCC we do not wish to waive the grant this year.

 

WEBSITE

Lynn is maintaing and we discussed the difference between pages and posts on the wordpress site. If anyone else wants to be involved please get in touch.

 

SUNSET RIDE

Wednesday 17 June, 7pm for 7.15pm departure.

See http://hfcyclists.org.uk/2015/05/sunset-ride-17th-june-2015/

Paul suggested bringing your own drink and picnic for the public terrace with the spectacular view as queues may be long at the pub across the street.

 

OUR GARDEN PARTY AT ROGER DE FREITAS’

This will be on Thursday 16 July at 7pm. Roger and Vicky live in Hartswood Rd. This is our great event of the year and please put in your diary now. We will send an email out with details nearer the time.

 

RIDE LONDON FEEDER SATURDAY 1 AUGUST

Tim Day says he would like to be a marshal. John will forward his details to Konstantinos.

 

EALING NEWSLETTER

Paul brought in a Ealing Cycling campaign newsletter that was attached to his bike. It is very impressive. Perhaps we could do something similar, and Lynn thinking about it. If others want to be involved please get in touch.

See http://lcc.org.uk/articles/local-group-news-june-2015

 

EXPENSES

John; Refreshments after PAC meeting £25.20

Ken: For tonights refreshments £35

 

OUR AGM

We will have this later in the year when some recent members may have gained more experience, perhaps to be officers.

 

DATE / PLACE OF NEXT MEETING

Tuesday 14 July, 7.15 for 7.30pm at the home and garden of Susie Gretz [later changed to 28th July]

4a Eynham Rd, W12 9HA

 

John Griffiths [chair]
020 7371 1290  /  07789 095 748 truefeelings@gmail.com

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

NOTES OF HFCYCLISTS MAY MEETING

 

TUESDAY 12 May 2015, 7.15 for 7.30pm at the home of John Griffiths

122c Edith Road, W14 9AP.

 

PRESENT:

John Griffiths, Ken McCosh, Konstantinos Parsalidis, Elizabeth Hopkirk, Petrina Beaufoy Helm, Janusz Carmello, Paul Saunderson,, Lars Laamann, Sima John

 

APOLOGIES:

Lynn Seveke, Roger de Freitas, Susie Gretz, Alan Rowden

 

WELCOME TO ANY NEW MEMBERS

We were pleased to see Kpnstantinos, who was a marshal at last years Ride London, and Elizabeth, who came to a meeting last year and was on the Hammersmith Bridge ride.

 

NO2 DIFFUSION TUBE PROJECT

We now have the results for our February and April NO2 measurements. A correction factor still has to be applied to them by Client Earth, our partners in this.

 

The results indicate that there are a few places in Hammersmith and SBG where the results are considerably higher than at the place where LBHF takes its measurement for Hammersmith Gyratory.

 

We took readings at heights of 3m and 2.25m. We were expecting the reading closer to the ground to be higher as it was closer to the source of local exhaust gases. There was no significant difference at these heights. Near the entrance to King Street the 3m reading was surprisingly higher than the 2.25m reading. We speculated this might be gases from the flyover dispersing down, or turbulence , or random errors.

 

Where we measured at 4 different heights on two posts, from 3m down to 0.5m, this showed a significant increase as you got down to pushchair height.

 

John will do some further work on the statistics behind the results. This is to see how meaningful the figures are, as there are inherent random errors in the NO2 tube approach, and variations due to the weather. John will collaborate on this with Konstantinos and Lynn. And also show to someone in the group who works in statistics.

 

Konstantinos, an engineer, had several suggestions. He will discuss with some colleagues. We will collaborate with Andrea Lee of client Earth in producing a report. We should approach LBHF and TfL with a view to trying to influence them into taking mitigation measures, especially as the plans for Hammersmith Gyratory are being developed now.

 

Konstantinos said that normally bodies would expect to see at least 3 months of data before something was taken seriously. In the light of our experience so far we may carry out further studies, using our money, or from any grant we may be able to get.

 

Recently Client Earth were successful in taking the UK government to the UK Supreme Court, with the result that the UK has to take more stringent action to meet an EU directive on NO2 pollution levels. NO2 mainly comes from diesel vehicles and causes health problems sometimes leading to earlier death.

 

HAMMERSMITH BRIDGE

 

On 25 April about ten of us along with Chris Bainbridge, Cllrs Ben Coleman, Lisa Homan, Max Schmid and PJ Murphy rode over Hammersmith Bridge. Cllr Wesley Harcourt was also there. We were pressing for large signs on the roadway  saying “CYCLIST PRIORITY”.

 

In January 2016 Hammersmith Bridge will be closed for a year for repairs and strengthening work.

 

RIDE LONDON

LCC is asking if we can organise a feeder ride for Ride London on 1 August. We need a lead rider and marshals. We discussed last years ride. John will send to LCC the following:

Ride Leader Konstantinos Parsalidis,

Marshals: Richard Radmore, Ken McCosh, Janusz Carmello, Paul Saunderson, John Griffiths

 

BIKE WEEK

Bike week 13 – 21 June

There will probably be a ride on the Wednesday evening June 17thgoing to the Roebuck on Richmond Hill to join other west London groups.

 

London Prison Ride 2015

This will be on 21 June. I will send a separate message on this as the details are quite long.

 

STALL IN NORTH END ROAD

June 27 –  extended bike week – Stall at North End Road Market Festival

John will apply for a stall for the group. It will be a long day –perhaps from 8.30am to 5.30pm. Konstantinos, Elizabeth, Ken, Suzie, Petrina and John say they will be involved. Interacting with non-cyclists encouraging them to cycle, and with cyclists telling them of our causes. And giving info. Possibly measuring BMI for example.

Please contact John as soon as possible if others want to be involved in planning and being there on the day.

 

SPACE4CYCLING

LCC are seeking people to hand in petitions to our Council at a photoshoot. The petitions are reminders to keep pursuenig the Spce4Cycling pledges they made. Lars, Elizabeth, Ken and John said they would, depending on the date.

 

HOUNSLOW SUGGESTION for A4 and A316

Hounslow Cycling Campaign are planning to run a positive campaign giving a vision of what TfL’s roads could be like, particularly asking for protected cycle lanes on the A4 and A316. That is the Great West Road and the road that leads to Chiswick Bridge.

 

The website has great diagrams of how it might be. I was sent this by Timothy Harris. You can leave comments on the website and also send messages to the London Assembly members.

See www.hounslowcycling.org/revitalise-hogarth

We should be doing something like that for Hammersmith gyratory.

 

POTHOLE ON A4

John and Ken have noted a serious pothole on the A4 around a drain. John has reported on https://reportit.tfl.gov.uk/

Elizabeth suggested we have cards we can give out giving that address. Cards that would fit in a wallet with our details also would be good.

 

CENTRAL LCC MATTERS

There are a lot of documents to read on Governance. Policies. Constitutions etc. Anyone keen to read any please email me.

 

LCC GRANT

As our budget for next year is considerable, including publicity, events, possible further expenses involved with NO2 and refreshments, we decided not to forgo our annual grant from lCC

 

EXPENSES

Ken for refreshments after Hammersmith Bridge ride

John for refreshments tonight £31.03

 

DATE / PLACE OF NEXT MEETING

On Tuesday 16 June, at 7,15 for 7.30pm at the home of Ken McCosh,

12 Stanwick Road, West Kensington, W14 8UH

 

John Griffiths [chair]
020 7371 1290  /  07789 095 748

truefeelings@gmail.com

++++++++

NOTES OF HFCYCLISTS APRIL MEETING

 

TUESDAY 14 April 2015, 7.30pm at the home of Ken McCosh

 

PRESENT: Ken McCosh, John Griffiths, Susie Gretz, Paul Saunderson, Janusch Carmello, Alan Rowden, Lynn Seveke

 

APOLOGIES: Roger de Freitas, Lars Laamann, Petrina Beaufoy Helm, Sima John

 

NO2 DIFFUSION TUBE PROJECT

With Andrea Lee from Client Earth we placed some small devices around the borough to test for air pollution. These have now all been collected, and we have the results for the first month. The results for the second month are due soon.

 

Early indications are that as you drop down from 3m to adult breathing height and to push-chair height the NO2 reading increases considerably. 3m is the height at which LBHF makes measurements.

Also compared to the point near St Paul’s Church where LBHF makes it measurements, there are places at Hammersmith gyratory and Shepherds Bush Green where the NO2 values are higher.

We await the results of the second month’s trial. We shall then decide how to use them, and to see whether it is advisable to collect more data. John and Lynn will be involved in this, and any others welcome.

 

HFCYCLISTS ACCOUNTS AND GRANT FROM LCC

Ken is now preparing the accounts for the last financial year.

Normally we receive a grant from LCC of around £250 to £300, approximately 50p for each LCC member living in the Borough, taken from their subscriptions. Last year LCC had financial problems and we decided to forego the grant that year. As we are fairly well off the question is should we forego it again this year? After discussion we decided to delay any decision, depending on whether we will be spending money on the pollution project.

 

UPDATES FROM LBHF

John spoke to Chris Bainbridge of LBHF before the meeting. Chris said that he was planning to retire and had given his notice to LBHF. However Chris will be continuing at LBHF for a while in some capacity. Chris gave the following updates

1] The Bridge Avenue contraflow has now been installed

2] Only one Quietway in the Borough has so far received funding from TfL. This comes out of K&C on North Pole Road and crosses the Scrubs, going east.

 

3] Nick Reston Boyle of LBHF has taken suggestions to TfL. Concerning the Holland Park roundabout, there may be a “Hamburger “ solution, where a cycle track goes east – west across the roundabout. This has some problems where it meets the apex of Shepherds Bush Common, ie at the Ginglik that was. Another possibility there is to have peninsularisation, ie taking out a section of the roundabout and connecting to the surrounding land. But this has more drastic traffic flow implications

4]Nick has also taken suggestions for Hammersmith Gyratory to TfL. These include peninsularisation [cutting out Queen Caroline St] or a 2-way cycle track around the outside of the gyratory.

Alan pointed out that Coca –Cola has now vacated its premises at the gyratory, and Disney may also be leaving. John said that TfL would like to remove the temporary bus station. Perhaps there will be some major changes there.

20MPH

We thought that plans for a consultation on 20mph was going to be put forward by Officers to Councillors for their approval at the LBHF Policy and Accountability Committee [PAC] meeting on Tuesday 21 April at 7pm. However this will not be and it will be presented to a later meeting.

HAMMERSMITH BRIDGE

At the last PAC meeting John had asked for a ride with Councillors and their families so that they could experience the difficulties of riding on the bridge. The idea is that they would agree signs saying “Cyclists Priority” or “Do not Overtake Cyclists”. This will probably be on the morning of Saturday 25 April. We will be looking for a small number of vulnerable cyclists ie parents carrying children on their bikes, cargo bikes with children, or parents cycling with children to demonstrate the type of cyclist the bridge should be designed for. You would not be expected to cycle on the bridge if you do not want to.

This is not a demonstration or protest, and is not suitable for anyone likely to antagonise the Councillors. We only want a few to come along as in the past with a larger group conversation has proven difficult. John will send a separate message about this.

WEBSITE

Lynn has contacted Alex Ingram and we now have more control of the website. John and Lynn will work on getting it revised and updated. Lynn will see about contacting Loretta Reehill about the password for the facebook page.

LIGHTS ON BASKETS

Paul said he had seen a good design for fitting a light bracket to a basket. The idea is that you split a cork lengthwise, and then tape it around a narrow wire on the basket. The bracket can then be attached to the cork instead of the frame of the bike.

RIDES and EVENTS

Thames Bridges Bike Ride

Sunday 10 May   —   www.stroke.org.uk/tbbr

 

LCC rides page

http://lcc.org.uk/events

 

EXPENSES

Ken had expenses of £36.24 for tonight’s refreshments.

John had expenses of £8.10 for refreshments when we last picked up the NO2 tubes.

 

DATE / PLACE OF NEXT MEETING

Tuesday 12 May 7.15 for 7.30pm

At the home of John Griffiths

122c Edith rd, West Kensington. W14 9AP

[please put in your diary now]

 

John Griffiths [chair]
020 7371 1290  /  07789 095 748

truefeelings@gmail.com